Skincare & Smoothies
Updated: Feb 13
Your skin is only as healthy as your diet.
We often hear "you are what you eat", but wouldn't you agree that there's often so much negativity attached to that statement? It can feel loaded with judgment and shame. It's common that when we hear this, we instantly have to defend ourselves and try to justify why we eat what we eat. Food and diet culture is definitely a tricky (and sometimes sensitive!) subject to navigate through. All I'm here to do is provide some gentle, fun insight on some smoothie recipes that are healthy and beneficial; not only for our physical health and mental health but also my favorite - our SKIN HEALTH!
Since I've started religiously making a smoothie every morning, I wanted to find a way to have some fun with it. Not only to have different flavors to enjoy every morning, but to start feeding my skin first thing in the morning! I was experimenting with different ways I could do that by looking up recipes and then pretending to be a pro-smoothie-maker and mixing my own ideas together... It actually inspired me to create my own skin-health smoothie bar (like how fun and cute is that!?) BUT, because my brain sees every idea as a business opportunity I decided to reeeeeel it back in for now. So, even though I'm not starting a smoothie bar, I do have a WICKEDLY FUN NEW idea for you and it's coming your way SUPER SOON! Safe to say you will be seeing and reading all about it on my socials; so if you don't already follow me on Instagram (@inspirationsbeautyclinic) or if you're not on my email list, I suggest you get on both of these things to stay in the loop! Don't miss out on the fun new adventures that Inspirations Beauty Clinic has to offer!
Anyways, back to smoothie making. Since I have experimented quite a bit at this point I wanted to share some yummy recipes for you that will help create a variety in your routine but still be a constant. It's so much easier to stick to a healthy, sustainable, habit like making a smoothie every day when you can change up the flavor and nutrients! I am excited to share with you these recipes and WHY the ingredients in the smoothie are helpful in your skin journey.
*DISCLAIMER* I am NOT a nutritionist or dietitian, I am NOT a doctor or nurse. These recommendations are simply from my own research, my own experimenting, and playing around in my kitchen. These are friendly RECOMMENDATIONS, this being said; If you have further questions or concerns please contact one of the listed professionals, such as a doctor, dietitian, nurse, etc.
Though these smoothie recipes are certainly a nutritious part of a healthy diet, I do not recommend using them as a cleanse or meal replacement. I am simply sharing some healthy habits that I have implemented into my routine and sharing recipes I love! Having a smoothie every morning is how I personally love to start my day. I love this habit as much as I love healthy skin, and even more, I love to share it with all of you! There is countless evidence that food directly correlates to health and well-being (in all aspects). So if you are wanting or needing more information, I totally respect that and I encourage you to do more digging! However, as you are hanging out with me, today the focus is healthy smoothie recipes with a bit of a skin twist.
To be real with you guys, I am not the best with measurements..... this is something my partner makes fun of me for all the time. He says it's ironic how I love eating for my skin but my recipes are not strict in terms of the amounts. I do this with all my "recipes" not just my smoothies - OOPS.
I make my food and my smoothies based on how I want the flavor to be and from there I guess how much I need of something. You'll notice sometimes I'll say a handful of kale and other times I will say 6 strawberries (IDK why 6 strawberries but that's my go-to). Sometimes my instructions are super generic and other times super specific... I'm sorry in advance. I guess this leaves room for you to become your own smoothie pro. #sorrynotsorry #pleasestillloveme
1/2 an Avocado
1 Large handful of Fresh Spinach
1 Large handful of Fresh Kale
6 Frozen Strawberries
1 Ripe Banana
2 Scoops of Arbonne Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Scoop of Arbonne Mineral Boost
#greenglow #greensmoothie #glowingskin
1 large hand full of Fresh Kale
1 Cup Frozen blackberry, blueberry, and raspberry medley
1 Ripe Banana
1/4 Cup Aloe Water
Arbonne Tropical Berry Post Workout
2 Scoops Arbonne Vanilla Protein Powder
#berryrecovery #berryhappyskin #skinregenerationandrecovery
Fresh Summer Skin
6 Fresh Strawberries
1/3 Cup Frozen Chopped Rhubarb
1 Ripe Banana
2 Scoops Arbonne Vanilla Protein Powder
#freshsummerskin #freshskin #freshfoods
I am excited for you to try these recipes!! When you give them a go don't forget to tag me on Instagram and use the hashtag #inspirationsbeautyclinic! And, as always stay tuned for more blogs and resources with even more recipes to come! In addition to my recipes, I would be thrilled to feature your favorite skin-healthy recipes! Don't worry if you don't have exact measurements, I'm the queen of no measurements! No stress, just provide the list of ingredients and we will take it from there! This is where we can be creative and become our own #skinsmoothiemasters
Let's now dive into some of the benefits of the featured ingredients! Keep in mind you can eat and cook with these ingredients throughout the day and have an even more incredible boost! Add it to your smoothies, your salads your soups, consume as much as you want and need to nourish that skin!
- Avocados have a high source of fatty acids. This is important and helpful because it helps promote the building blocks of healthy membranes within the skin cells, which help produce the skin's natural oil barrier. This ingredient is great for dry, dehydrated, and acne skin types. Avocado is also beneficial because of the healthy fats and oils which are fantastic to help soothe skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis for example.
- The fiber that avocados offer is also great to help with healthy digestion. If you go you glow! If you have had or have some trouble going, avocado can be beneficial. Many people who suffer from severely dehydrated, dull skin and acne find relief in their skin condition once healthy digestion is achieved!
- Loaded with Vitamins B5, B6, and Vitamin E! These vitamins are important to help improve skin strength!
- Let's talk antioxidants! Antioxidants are important for ALL SKIN types! Kale helps provide another source of protection to fight off free radical damage. - Kale is loaded with vitamin C. We've all heard of the importance of Vitamin C when talking about skin. Kale specifically works to brighten and tighten our skin. We cannot make our own Vitamin C, so applying it topically and ingesting orally gives us this added boost. A healthy intake of Vitamin C protects our skin and will help produce healthy collagen.
- Kale also helps to remove unwanted toxins in the body, this is obviously beneficial as we know what enters the body can show up in the skin. The cleaner we are from the inside the better our skin will be on the outside. Since kale can help remove unwanted toxins in the skin this also aids in healthy skin production. Since it eliminates the nasty it makes it easier for the goodness to be thriving!
- Kale is also rich in Vitamin A, D, and K which further assist in eliminating inflammation and redness found in the skin, which also makes this super idea for skin that commonly breaks out!
- Cause Popeye said so - duhhhhh. I'm kidding, although Popeye did know what's up because spinach is a beautiful source of green veggies (which we often don't get enough of in our diets). Spinach is a great source of vitamins A, C, and K all of which are used to boost and promote a healthy glow and radiant skin complexion (similar to kale). These vitamins are also vital because they will also fight against inflammation within the body, meaning they will help control and limit breakouts. Vitamin K specifically is known for its ability to help the skin lighten the dark spots from pigmentation and or from scarring! So don't forget a big handful of spinach in your smoothie, in your salad, and again when you sauté some veggies for dinner! The more the merrier!
Why Aloe Water?
- Aloe Water helps increase water content in the intestines, which helps with healthy digestion because we are less likely to put stress and strain on our organs and intestines. Less stress is always best. Aloe water is incredibly hydrating and soothing, so adding aloe to the water boosts its healing and hydration properties - Aloe Water is also known to boost skin metabolism. Skin metabolism is the process in which the cells are regulated to properly encourage new cell growth and shed the old cells. Skin metabolism helps ensure we have a healthy and hopefully consistent production of NEW cells.
Why Almond Milk?
- I choose almond milk because it's a dairy-free option that still gives a creamy and flavourful base! You can always use cashew milk, oat milk, or coconut milk!
- Almond milk is also low in sugar - it's important to avoid sugar so that we don't accelerate aging (cell breakdown) or irritate blemishes (sugar also increases inflammation).
- Almond milk is also high in Vitamin E. Vitamin E is what helps with healthy cell function. The same explanation as aloe water - the production of healthy skin metabolism.
- Almond milk is also a source of protein. It's important to have healthy protein sources in your diet to help with collagen production. Almond milk is a light gentle source of protein and is a beautiful compliment to the added Arbonne plant protein I suggest and use for my smoothies. You can check the added document with all the protein info!
Why Carrot Juice?
- Carrot juice (and carrots in general) are loaded with beta carotene. Beta Carotene metabolized turns into vitamins in the skin, like vitamin C for example! - When turned into vitamins and helpful antioxidants for the skin, this serves many benefits to the skin for overall skin health, collagen production, and protection of the healthy cells.
- Healthy promotion of potassium. Potassium helps balance the skin and will improve the hydration and moisture within the skin cells
- Carrots also help promote a beautiful glow that will leave you shining so bright from the inside out!
Why Strawberries / Berries?
- Did you know 5 strawberries have more vitamin C than an orange! Wild right!? Plus I love the taste of strawberries in a smoothie more than oranges but to each their own! In this case, the berries help fight free radicals and aging based on the berries being loaded with vitamins and a powerful source of antioxidants!
- With the multi-beneficial blend of vitamins and antioxidants; berries are known to help lift pigmentation in the skin. The idea with this is the protection and added boost of nutrients to the new cells, promoting the old damaged cells to lift, helping heal the skin, prevent aging, and encourage brightening within the skin!
- I love adding rhubarb for that sour punch! In the summer I try and eat rhubarb fresh as my treat when I am craving sour candy and it usually does the trick! So other than the tangy flavor it adds to the smoothie, it is great because this ingredient is also loaded with antioxidants! You can never get enough antioxidants in your diet!
- Because of rhubarbs' ability to fight off and protect against free radicals, this also means it helps benefit the healthy, natural, production of the body's hyaluronic acid and encourages healthy collagen production! UMM YES TO ALL OF THIS!
- I love the flavor and texture banana adds in smoothies! It seriously is added to every smoothie of mine. I can really tell when there is no banana and I can tell you right now, I miss it instantly, so bananas are a must for me! Similar to rhubarb, banana has other benefits other than just making a smoothie tasty!
- Banana is known to help dry and dehydrated skin become supple and dewy! Who would've known! Since it helps with overall hydration and moisture within the skin, it also improves texture or patchiness that is common with dryness!
Why skin Elixir?
*Skin elixir is a powder product from Arbonne, I have attached the product sheet below for more information. It is a plant-based, vegan collagen supplement used and suggested for healthier and stronger hair, skin, and nails. It is loaded with vitamins, hyaluronic acid, biotin, and collagen. I often add this to water, but it can also be added to your smoothie.
- For the collagen boost of course! Collagen is HUGE when we chat about skin health, skin repair, skin regeneration, and overall glow youthful skin! Our skin's/body's ability to produce collagen slows down as we age, so having a supplement is important and beneficial.
- The hyaluronic acid boost is important for hydration within the skin cells and layers. The added Hyaluronic Acid helps promote and encourage the skin to produce its own Hyaluronic Acid. If you want to learn more about Hyaluronic Acid I have a blog all about this super ingredient and I go into further detail in my podcast episode called "Sought-After Serums".
- Biotin is a common vitamin that is suggested and used to encourage strength and health with nails, hair, and skin. In regards to the skin, it is helpful in maintaining the mucous membranes, great to be added into a routine especially if someone has dry, scaly, red irritated skin; Biotin can help soothe and repair the skin.
*see more info on the meet the product sheet provided below!
I hope you have enjoyed this entry and are excited to browse through the provided documents and to try the recipes! Have some fun, mix them together if you wish, and don't forget to tag me and share what one is your favorite!!
Happy smoothie-making! Thank you for reading and learning with me about #skincareandsmoothies